viernes, 13 de octubre de 2006

Auden habla


The More Loving One

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?

If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total darkness sublime,
Though this might take me a little time.

[la siguiente traducción fue realizada por mí en 1996]

Mirando las estrellas, sé muy bien
que por ellas al infierno me puedo ir,
Pero en este mundo del ser humano o de la bestia
lo que menos debíamos temer es la indiferencia.

¿Quisieramos pues, ver astros arder

Con una pasión imposible de corresponder?

Si no es posible entre nosotros un afecto similar,
Permite entonces que sea yo quien ame más.

Aunque suponga yo admirar
A estrellas, a las que poco ha de importar,
No podría decir, mirándolas,
Que este día mucho a una pude extrañar.

Si todas las estrellas se desvanecieran al morir,
Aprendería yo a vacío el firmamento contemplar
y sentir sublime la absoluta oscuridad,
Aunque esto lograrlo, un tiempo ha de tomar.


Wystan Hugh Auden
(1907-1973)

4 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Miguel:

Justamente hoy en mi clase de literatura, me parece que el maestro mencionó a este Auden ¿estuvo casado con la hija de Tomás Mann? A lo mejor me hago bolas y no es el mismo. Nunca había oido hablar de él, y hoy lo veo mencionado dos veces en diferentes espacios....por cierto me encantó el poema que pusiste aquí....

Miguel Cane dijo...

Querida Viv,

No, éste Auden no fue casado (al menos no en el sentido convencional) pero sí, su poesía es muy hermosa.

Éste es uno de mis poemas favoritos suyos (y uno de mis favoritos de toda la vida).

Quizá recuerdas otro, que figura prominente en "Cuatro Bodas y un Funeral"... se llama precisamente, 'Funeral Blues'.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone.

Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let airplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message "He is Dead"
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.


Muchos besos, Viv.

Anónimo dijo...

Hola Miguelón:

Pués fíjate que me he quedado con la duda y he buscado a Auden...resulta que si estuvo casado con la hija de Thomas Mann (matrimonio por conveniencia para que ella pudiera escapar de la Alemania Nazi, en 1935, ya decía yo que no podía andar tan equivocada...en fin, lo descubrí ayer y ya quiero leer más cosas de él. El poema de "cuatro bodas..." me encantó desde que lo oí en la película, no sabía que era de él. Claro, si no lo conocía, jeje. Voy a estar más pendeinte, porque me encantó de verdad...gracias y muchos besos a tí también.

Miguel Cane dijo...

Querida Viv:

¡Me dejas patidifuso! ¡Estupefacto! ¡Sorprendido y fascinado! ¡No sabía!

Todos los días se aprende algo nuevo.

Pues me alegra que te haya gustado descubrir a Auden. Aquí está mi poema preferido de Auden, el que más me mueve... y que probablemente sea uno de los cinco poemas que más me gustan en la vida y que un día, si puedo, traduciré como se debe.

Ours yet not ours, being set apart
As a shrine to friendship,
Empty and silent most of the year,
This room awaits from you
What you alone, as visitor, can bring,
A weekend of personal life.

In a house backed by orderly woods,
Facing a tractored sugar-beet country,
Your working hosts engaged to their stint,
You are unlike to encounter
Dragons or romance: were drama a craving,
You would not have come.

Books we do have for almost any
Literate mood, and notepaper, envelopes,
For a writing one (to "borrow" stamps
Is the mark of ill-breeding):
Between lunch and tea, perhaps a drive;
After dinner, music or gossip.

Should you have troubles (pets will die
Lovers are always behaving badly)
And confession helps, we will hear it,
Examine and give our counsel:
If to mention them hurts too much,
We shall not be nosey.

Easy at first, the language of friendship

Is, as we soon discover,
Very difficult to speak well, a tongue
With no cognates, no resemblance
To the galimatias of nursery and bedroom,
Court rhyme or shepherd's prose,

And, unless spoken often, soon goes rusty.
Distance and duties divide us,
But absence will not seem an evil
If it make our re-meeting
A real occasion. Come when you can:
Your room will be ready.

In Tum-Tum's reign a tin of biscuits
On the bedside table provided
For nocturnal munching. Now weapons have changed,
And the fashion of appetites:
There, for sunbathers who count their calories,
A bottle of mineral water.

Felicissima notte! May you fall at once
Into a cordial dream, assured
That whoever slept in this bed before
Was also someone we like,
That within the circle of our affection
Also you have no double.


Muchos besos y gracias, Viv.